Working hands-on while earning your degree
The insurance apprenticeship program at Zurich is the first of its kind in the U.S. Modeled after the successful program at our Switzerland headquarters, it prepares individuals for careers in the insurance industry.
- On-the-job training at Zurich’s North American headquarters in Schaumburg, Illinois
- Weekly classes at William Rainey Harper College
At completion of the program, apprentices will have:
- Earned an Associate in Applied Science degree in Business Administration
- Earned the designation of a Department of Labor Certified Insurance Apprentice
- Developed key professional skills that will serve them well in their future career at Zurich
The Apprenticeship Program is currently focused on Claims, Underwriting and Finance, and allows each apprentice to maximize his or her learning by making direct links between course work at Harper College and on-the-job experience at Zurich.
Zurich is a participant in the U.S. Department of Labor’s ApprenticeshipUSA initiative, which includes a network of more than 150,000 employers in more than 1,000 occupations. The initiative is dedicated to developing a new generation of workers to help the U.S. succeed in the 21st-century economy. Zurich's program is the first insurance apprentice program to be certified by the U.S. Department of Labor.
We are committed to having 100 apprentices participate in the program by 2020.
How to apply
Scroll down and complete the 4 steps to apply to become “College Ready” by Harper College.
Once you have been qualified by Harper College, please complete the following steps on the Zurich website:
- Go to the “All Career Opportunities” page on the Careers section of Zurich’s website.
- In the “Job Number” field, enter 170003KI and hit “Enter”
- Scroll down and when you see the apprentice job, click on the word “Apply”.
- Enter your ID and password. If you have not yet created a profile, click on “New User”
- After logging in, follow the prompts to apply for your career!
Apprenticeships: "College without the debt"
USA Today, March 23, 2016 by Paul Davidson
Apprenticeships come to insurance and financial services industries
Chicago Tribune, March 7, 2016 By Alexia Elejalde-Ruiz
An Insurance Industry First: Training Tomorrow's Workforce through Apprenticeship
U.S. Department of Labor Blog, March 2, 2016 By Mike Foley, CEO North America Commercial and Regional Chairman of North America for Zurich Insurance
Chicago's future hinges on retooling schools for digital age
Chicago Tribune, January 6, 2015 By Mark Caro and Kathy Bergen